Find material and extra resources that are used in the workshop.
Human Rights module
Human rights and their principles. Equality and non-discrimination. A human rights-based approach. Legal resources.
A Jupyter notebook with code and exercises to apply in practice the concepts learned
The social impact of development choices: Tinder usecase
The impact of inequalities produced by development choices through a practical case study; the dating app Tinder
Dictionary for the terms.
Human Rights Resources
Digital technology and human rights:
- Human rights in the digital age - Can they make a difference? : Keynote speech by Michelle Bachelet, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Japan Society, New York, 17 October 2019
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- International Bill of Human Rights , Fact Sheet No. 2 (rev.1) , UN Human Rights Office
- Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW)
- Interantional Convention on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (ICERD)
- Universal Human Rights Instruments UN Human Rights Office. - list of international human rights instruments applicable globally. Includes both legally binding treaties as well as those are not legally binding per se but set up standards, such as declarations, principles and guidelines)
Applied research material from the workshop at École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)
- The qualitative analysis of Tinder's algorithm patents. Text in French: 2019, Jessica Pidoux « Toi et moi, une distance calculée. Les pratiques de quantification algorithmiques sur Tinder. »
- The analysis of development practices when defining variables for user representation on dating apps: 2021, Pidoux Jessica, Kuntz Pascale et Gatica-Perez Daniel “Declarative variables in online dating: a mixed-method analysis of a mimetic-distinctive mechanism” , ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (CSCW)
Curated material to learn more about fairness in AI. The list is indicative and non-exhausted.
- Data feminism D’Ignazio, Catherine, and Lauren F. Klein. The MIT Press, 2020.
- Design Justice: Community-Led Practices to Build the Worlds We Need Costanza-Chock, Sasha. The MIT Press, 2020.
- Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism. Noble, Safiya Umoja. New York University Press, 2018.
- Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy O’Neil, Cathy. New York: Crown, 2016.